Recipe by Jeanette G
This really is the best baked potato soup I have ever tasted. I've had this recipe for quite a while now and I thought it was time to share with you guys!
Top Review by TammyLouise
All I can say is OMG!! This is the most awesome soup I have ever eaten. I did fry some bacon and use the grease in my roux. I didnt have any thyme, but I did add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder. I will definately make this again. Thanks Jeanette!
- 2 medium potatoes (about 2 cups chopped)
- 44.37 ml butter
- 236.59 ml diced white onion
- 29.58 ml flour
- 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 473.18 ml water
- 59.14 ml cornstarch
- 236.59 ml instant mashed potatoes
- 4.92 ml salt
- 3.69 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml basil
- 0.59 ml thyme
- 236.59 ml heavy whipping cream or 236.59 ml half-and-half
- 118.29 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 59.14 ml crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 chopped green onion (green part only)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash potatoes thoroughly and microwave until tender.
- If you would like you can always bake in a 400 degree oven for one hour or until done.
- As the potatoes are cooling, melt your butter in a large saucepan and saute your onions until light brown.
- Add in your flour to make a roux.
- Add in your chicken broth, water, cornstarch, instant mashed potatoes and spices and bring to a boil.
- Reduce your heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Take your cooled potatoes and peel off the skin and chop up into desired pieces.
- Add in your chopped up potatoes and the heavy whipping cream to your soup and bring it back to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until it is thick.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and green onions.