This really is the best baked potato soup I have ever tasted. I've had this recipe for quite a while now and I thought it was time to share with you guys!
- 2 medium potatoes (about 2 cups chopped)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 chopped green onion (green part only)
- Wash potatoes thoroughly and microwave until tender.
- If you would like you can always bake in a 400 degree oven for one hour or until done.
- As the potatoes are cooling, melt your butter in a large saucepan and saute your onions until light brown.
- Add in your flour to make a roux.
- Add in your chicken broth, water, cornstarch, instant mashed potatoes and spices and bring to a boil.
- Reduce your heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Take your cooled potatoes and peel off the skin and chop up into desired pieces.
- Add in your chopped up potatoes and the heavy whipping cream to your soup and bring it back to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until it is thick.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and green onions.