Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This really is the best baked potato soup I have ever tasted. I've had this recipe for quite a while now and I thought it was time to share with you guys!
- 2 medium potatoes (about 2 cups chopped)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 chopped green onion (green part only)
- Wash potatoes thoroughly and microwave until tender.
- If you would like you can always bake in a 400 degree oven for one hour or until done.
- As the potatoes are cooling, melt your butter in a large saucepan and saute your onions until light brown.
- Add in your flour to make a roux.
- Add in your chicken broth, water, cornstarch, instant mashed potatoes and spices and bring to a boil.
- Reduce your heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Take your cooled potatoes and peel off the skin and chop up into desired pieces.
- Add in your chopped up potatoes and the heavy whipping cream to your soup and bring it back to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until it is thick.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and green onions.
All I can say is OMG!! This is the most awesome soup I have ever eaten. I did fry some bacon and use the grease in my roux. I didnt have any thyme, but I did add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder. I will definately make this again. Thanks Jeanette!
DELICIOUS! I had Baked Potato Soup recently at lunch and when I came home I headed straight to 'Zaar to find a way to make it at home. I decided on this recipe. The only additions I made to it where I added a tub (I belive it was 12 ounces) of sour cream and I also added a cup of cheddar cheese to the soup (in addition to what you serve on top -- I like a really cheesey baked potato!). Instead of topping the soup with the bacon I just threw it in the pot as well after I fried it up (I drained the bacon greese). It was fantastic. Just like a baked potato and my 13 month old would cry if I did not share with her. Can't wait to make this for my Mom who HATES potato soup! Thanks for sharing! EDIT: Made it for Mom and she LOVED it!
I made this soup as written with the exception of the thyme. All I had was a blend that had some thyme, rosemary and sage and I only used 2 Tbs.of the cornstarch. OMG it was so good, all of my guest raved about it! I should have made a bigger batch, lol I do wonder if the cornstarch is really needed though. I think if it simmers long enough and you get the ratio of baked potato right it should thicken up all by itself. I think I'll try it next time without and post and update. I still give it 5 stars for taste. It really is the best I've ever tasted! Thanks for sharing! It's going in my recipe file box!<br/><br/>UPDATE: I made again by request of family and left out cornstarch. In my opinion better without it. It's thick enough without it.