Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the BEST apple pie i've EVER tasted! Everyone who tries this LOVES it! The trick is to use a mixture of green and red apples, i've found that granny smith is good, and red delicious doesn't work well. Using the mixed apples is ESSENTIAL to this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, (at least 8 cups) combine 2 cups water and the lemon juice, as you cut up the apples put them in the water. This will keep them from browning. When you are finished cutting them up, drain off all the water.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the sugar, and the 2 tablespoons of flour. add to the apples.
- Grease a pie tin. Line it with the pie crust. Fill with the apple/flour mixture.
- In separate bowl combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar, the 1/2 cup flour, cinnamon, ginger, and mace. Cut in butter until crumbly. Pat onto the top of the apples. Cover the edge of the pie with foil.
- Bake for 30 minute then remove foil. Bake 30 minute more or until topping is golden.
- Enjoy this decadent delight!