Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Looking for a baked bean recipe that's not the same old brown sugar and molasses mix? Well this is it...Whenever these beans make an appearance at a family potluck or BBQ they are gone before i get any!
- 1 (28 ounce) can baked beans (I use Bush's)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 6 slices bacon, fried and crumbled (you can use more if you like)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large Dutch oven, combine the baked beans, onion, bell pepper, and the bacon. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire, vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, garlic powder and salt. Add cayenne if using.
- Cover and bake for one hour in the oven.
- You can uncover the second 1/2 hour if you like your beans on the thick side.
- I have also made these in the crock pot on high for 2-3 hours depending on how thick you like them.
These were the best I have EVER had!! Everyone just raved over them and I was asked for the recipee (which never happens to me! LOL) i have a new hit on my hands THANK you so much for the wonderful recipe!
Definitely different than the usual baked beans, and very good! The addition of vinegar results in a bit of sweet and sour flavour, but the chili powder and cayenne also add a kick. Very flavourful beans, sure to be made again. I substituted a local smoked sausage for the bacon. Thanks for a great recipe!
These were 100% AWESOME!! Very different from the standard, dumped everything in the crock pot and we were good to go!