Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Recipe from: The Lady & Sons Just Desserts "In the early days of The Bag Lady, this cake was definitely one of those foods on the top of my customers' love list. I made sure that I baked and served it at least once a week. I hope you love it too. This cake freezes very well and is a great treat to have on hand for unexpected or drop-in company. Die-hard chocoholics might want to just throw on their favorite chocolate icing." Please note: this is an adopted recipe and I hope to make it soonest. If you make it before I do, I would appreciate feedback, Thanks ! ZWT REGION: United States of America.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, shortening, and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition. Add flour and buttermilk alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 1 3/4 hours, or until cake is done.
- Remove from oven and allow cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto cake plate and serve.
This is my "go to" pound cake recipe! It is fabulous! Everywhere I take it, everyone LOVES it and ask that I make it again. Any kind of chocolate cake must "rest" before enjoyed , especially a chocolate pound! I find it best to make a day ahead, if you have the time, or let it completely cool before serving. It is a perfect chocolate pound! Thanks Paula! LH Asheville, NC
I must tell you paula that this recipe is not a good one at all. I read the reviews so I was very
careful to fullow the recipe to the letter. Paula please make this cake on your show so we can see what we are doing wrong. It is not very sweet and has a week chololate taste. It was expensive to make. I think it needs a 12 cup bunt pan. I really do think something is wrong with this recipe, but I saw the same recipe on foodnet.com, only it didn't have the buttermilk, maybe it should be left out and use only milk. Most of your recipes are just wonderful.
This cake isn't very sweet or overpowering in chocolate taste. I had a few problems with the batter coming out over the pan while it was baking. Not sure if my pan isn't big enough or a bigger pan size is needed. I had to use powdered buttermilk. But still the cake came out tasting great!! Love this recipe.