Recipe by Kathy!!
A very old-fashioned, rustic, hand-made dessert that's made even better with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream over the warm apple dumpling.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 6 apples, peeled and cored
- cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg and butter
Directions See How It's Made
- For Syrup: Combine all ingredients and heat to boiling. Set aside.
- For dumplings: In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the shortening then stir in the milk to make a soft dough.
- Divide dough into six pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 1/8 inch thick square.
- Set apple in center of square.
- Sprinkle apple with some cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg.
- Place a small pat of butter atop apple.
- Moisten edges of pastry square and fold up over the apple sealing at the top.
- Repeat with remaining 5 apples.
- Set prepared dumplings in a baking pan and pour syrup over dumplings.
- Bake in preheated 375 F oven for 35 minutes.