Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Yowza! These Swedish Meatballs are fabulous! Very easy to make with such simple ingredients, and they're just delicious. This recipe has been in my family for years - friends and family wait all year to eat them.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC). Lightly grease a 9- x 13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, ground pork, chopped onion, bread crumbs, egg, and milk. Season with parsley, Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Mix well with your hands. Shape into walnut-size balls, and place on baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven. Turn frequently so they brown evenly on all sides.
- TO MAKE THE SAUCE:.
- In a saucepan, combine oil, flour, paprika, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Cook over medium heat until sizzling. Stir in hot water and sour cream until smooth and heated through.
- When meatballs have cooked 30 minutes, pour sauce over the top, and return to the oven for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- These meatballs are great alone, but are also delicious poured over egg noodles.
Wonderful meat balls. These were enjoyed by all tonight. I used 2 lbs of meat as I had guests for dinner and wanted to be sure to have enough. Now there'll be a bit left over for dh's dinner tomorrow night. Made for ZWT9 Soup A Stars.
We enjoyed these quick and easy Swedish meatballs. I liked the fact that I usually have all these ingredients on hand, so I can make them whenever I need a quick meal. I got 27 meatballs and they fit perfectly in my 9" x 13" baking dish. Next time, I would reduce the salt in both the meatballs and the sauce as it was a little too salty for our tastes. I served these over egg noodles. Thank you for sharing the wonderful recipe. Made for ZWT 9 Scandinavia for The Apron String Travelers.
OK, sometimes I think grrr, how can you rate a recipe when you changed it so much? I used this recipe for just the meatballs, as I have my own sauce. So I am rating the meatballs alone. They were great! I doubled this recipe so I could freeze some for another meal. Made 64 meatballs with my medium pampered chef cookie scoop. I also used dried minced onion instead of mincing my own (just followed the instruction on bottle for how much dried = fresh). Did not double the salt & pepper, as a previous commenter thought they were too salty. I also only had panko breadcrumbs on hand, so I used those. Thanks!