Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A friend gave this to me, she found it in an old magazine. Looked fun! With this basic filling, an unlimited supply of liqueurs and potables at your disposal, you can cream an almost infinite number of pies - each different, all delectable. Choose the most appropriate crust and proceed. The filling will need the special "flavoring" you choose from the instructions added.
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed vanilla wafers or chocolate wafers or gingersnaps
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 ounce unflavored gelatin
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all of your chosen crust ingredients together and press into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake 10 minutes and cool.
- In small saucepan, stir together 1/2 c sugar and gelatin.
- Blend egg yolks with water and flavorings of your choice.
- Stir into sugar mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat, cool and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until mixture is cool and thickened.
- Beat egg whites until foamy and add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 1 T at a time until egg whites form stiff, glossy peaks.
- Fold gelatin mixture into meringue and spoon into prebaked 9-inch pie shell.
- Flavoring Suggestions:.
- Butterscotch Collins (5 T Scotch, 2 T Scotch liqueur, 1 T lemon juice and cherries/orange slices to garnish).
- Gimlet (6 T gin, 2 T Rose's lime juice, grated peel of 1 lime, juice of 1/2 lime).
- Brandy Alexander-The-Great (5 T brandy, 3 T creme de cacao).
- Daiquiri (5 T golden rum, 2 T fresh lime juice, 1 T fresh lemon juice).
- Black Russian (7 T vodka, 3 T coffee liqueur).
- Coming Through The Rye (1/4 c rye or bourbon whiskey, 1/4 c fresh orange juice, 2 T grated orange peel).
I've been looking for this for years (lost the magazine)! I loved it! I used to make Grasshopper Pie with it. Can't wait to try it again...