Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the actual recipe for Applebee's cheesy chicken tortilla soup, enjoy!
Make and share this The Actual Applebee's Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon finely minced jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cubed or pulled
- 1 cup cream
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces processed cheese, 1-inch cubes
- 10 (6 inch) yellow or colored corn tortillas, 1/4-inch strips, fried
- fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (optional)
- Sauté oil, garlic and onions in large pan or Dutch oven until soft.
- Add numbers 4 through 13. Bring to low boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch strips and fry in oil or spray with oil and bake at 400 degrees F (while soup is cooking). Sprinkle with salt if desired.
- Thoroughly mix flour and water, then whisk into soup. Bring to a low boil, then simmer 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and cheese (more or less of each, depending on taste). Ensure 165 degrees F serving temperature.
- After serving soup, pile tortilla strips into a "haystack" shape on top of the soup.
- Optional: garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.