This is the actual recipe for Applebee's cheesy chicken tortilla soup, enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon finely minced jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cubed or pulled
- 1 cup cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces processed cheese, 1-inch cubes
- 10 (6 inch) yellow or colored corn tortillas, 1/4-inch strips, fried
- fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1Sauté oil, garlic and onions in large pan or Dutch oven until soft.
- 2Add numbers 4 through 13. Bring to low boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- 3Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch strips and fry in oil or spray with oil and bake at 400 degrees F (while soup is cooking). Sprinkle with salt if desired.
- 4Thoroughly mix flour and water, then whisk into soup. Bring to a low boil, then simmer 5 minutes.
- 5Add chicken and simmer 5 minutes.
- 6Stir in sour cream and cheese (more or less of each, depending on taste). Ensure 165 degrees F serving temperature.
- 7After serving soup, pile tortilla strips into a "haystack" shape on top of the soup.
- 8Optional: garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
Browse Our Top Mexican Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Actual Applebee's Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 629.3
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 135.1 mg
- Sodium 1158.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 35.7 g