Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is the actual recipe for Applebee's cheesy chicken tortilla soup, enjoy!
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon finely minced jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cubed or pulled
- 1 cup cream
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces processed cheese, 1-inch cubes
- 10 (6 inch) yellow or colored corn tortillas, 1/4-inch strips, fried
- fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (optional)
- Sauté oil, garlic and onions in large pan or Dutch oven until soft.
- Add numbers 4 through 13. Bring to low boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch strips and fry in oil or spray with oil and bake at 400 degrees F (while soup is cooking). Sprinkle with salt if desired.
- Thoroughly mix flour and water, then whisk into soup. Bring to a low boil, then simmer 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and cheese (more or less of each, depending on taste). Ensure 165 degrees F serving temperature.
- After serving soup, pile tortilla strips into a "haystack" shape on top of the soup.
- Optional: garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
Super yummy and easy recipe ! I used a can of campbell's fiesta cheese soup instead of the velveeta. Did not have any jalepenos so added some sriracha ( and wished I had added a can of chopped green chilis I found in my cabinet when I was done cooking - LOL) .<br/><br/>My 7 year old loved it and is taking some in his thermos for lunch tomorrow :-)