Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is the best coffee cake, it has a layer of blueberries between two layers of the most wonderful moist buttery cake then topped with a sweet buttery topping --- you could substitute 1 cup sour cream for the cream cheese but the cream cheese is better, also almond extract can be used in place of vanilla --- I serve this cake slightly warm with ice cream and it is even better the next day --- you will love this cake! :)
Top Review by consbaby
PRO! This recipe is totally pro. The only differences that I made were out of personal preferences. Instead of milk and cream, I used buttermilk. Since I'm always looking to reduce on sugar, I used 1/2 Splenda and 1/2 Sugar. Didnt want to deviate too much because I know that the filling and topping wont have that CRUNCH if you remove the sugar for that. I also cheated and used Self Rising Flour instead of measuring out the A P Flour and such. I'm just lazy like that. I didnt sift it, but I "did" sprinkle it into my wet mixture and remembered not to over mix. I also used 1/2 butter and 1/2 canola oil, making sure that I drizzled left over melted butter on top of entire topping of cake. I would have taken a picture, but it was absolutely "IDENTICAL" to the picture. I was amazed!!!! This will be my special blueberry recipe from now on. I dont even want to look for another. I'm good now. Thank you to who ever created this original recipe. Love you forever!!!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (use semi-heaping teaspoonful)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (use semi-heaping teaspoonful)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes!)
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream, unwhipped
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (can use more if desired) (optional)
- 3 tablespoons soft butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350° (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl sift together the first 3 ingredients.
- In a small bowl mix together the milk with whipping cream; set aside.
- In another bowl cream the butter with sugar and vanilla for about 4 minutes (no sugar granules should remain in the mixture).
- Add in eggs and cream cheese; beat until thoroughly blended.
- Add in the flour mixture alternately with milk/cream mixture.
- Spread HALF of the batter into prepared baking dish, then sprinkle the blueberries over the batter.
- Spread the remaining batter over blueberries.
- For the topping mix together the sugar with flour and cinnamon (if using) add in softened butter and mix with fingers until blended.
- Sprinkle on top of the cake batter.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until cake tests done.