Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is one of my all time favorite muffin recipes! --- you can substitute one large finely chopped apple for the nuts, increase the spices if desired --- some of the butter can be replaced with more applesauce for a lower fat muffin :)
Top Review by Greeny4444
Kittencal, you are so good at muffins. :) Even though I kind of messed with this recipe a bit, these muffins are still a really nice spice muffin. I love how you just need a whisk to mix everything! This is going to be one of my rotating muffin recipes that I make for my husband to grab-and-go on his way to work (along with Recipe #226503, Recipe #360438, and Recipe #195348 [in muffin form]). I used 1/2 c. whole wheat flour as part of the 1 1/2 cups, 1 slightly rounded tsp. cinnamon, I used 1/4 c. Splenda for 1/4 c. of the brown sugar, and I traded all instances of allspice out for apple pie spice. I also decreased the butter by 1/4 c. and used 1/4 c. more of applesauce, and I didn't use nuts. I got 15 delicious standard-size muffins. Until I unpack my own Wilton pans, I am using dark Oneida muffin tins, and 350 for 18 minutes is PERFECT for these (for me). I only sprinkle about 1/2 tsp. of topping ingredients on each muffin, so the topping ingredients make a lot, but I just save it in a Ziploc sandwich baggie (labeled as to what it is) for the next batch of muffins, because I know I'll be making these again! Thanks for sharing this recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder (heaping)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (can use more or less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar (can use more)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (butter is better!) or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted (butter is better!)
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped nuts
- 6 -7 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Butter 12 muffin tins or line with paper liners.
- For muffins: in a small bowl mix together first 7 dry ingredients.
- In another large bowl whisk together eggs and brown sugar until well combined.
- Add in melted butter whisking continuously until mixture is creamy.
- Stir in applesauce.
- Fold in flour mixture until JUST combined.
- Stir in nuts.
- Divide the batter evenly between muffin tins.
- To make the topping: stir together all ingredients then sprinkle over tops of muffin batter.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes, or until muffins test done.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes then remove to a rack to cool.