Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
My family has been making these things every Christmas my entire life and at least half of them don't make it to the Christmas party!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temp
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) bag semisweet chocolate morsels or 1 (12 ounce) bag milk chocolate chips
- 1⁄8 paraffin wax block (shredded or shaved)
- wax paper
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and peanut butter with a mixer.
- Once it's blended well, slowly add the powdered sugar. Usually, after the second cup, I'll check it every few times to make sure the mixture isn't too dry.
- Once you've added all the sugar, it should be a nice soft consistency, not sticky and easy to roll but not dry to where it crumbles. If you put all the sugar in and it's still to sticky to roll, try putting in more a little at a time until it gets to a good rolling consistency.
- Roll dough into balls. The size depends on how big or little you would like them.
- Lay the balls on the wax paper in a row and then put in the freezer while you melt the chocolate.
- To a medium size pot, add about 2-3 inches of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower to a simmer and place a metal or glass bowl on top, making sure the bottom doesn't touch the water.
- Add chocolate to the metal/glass bowl. Add wax and mix until it and the chocolate are both melted and a smooth consistancy.
- Once the chocolate is melted, take out the peanut butter balls and set them beside your pot of chocolate. Drop in one or two of the balls into the chocolate and then scoop them out with a fork or spoon. Set them on another cookie sheet or pan lined with wax paper.
- Once your finished, set them back in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes or until hard. They're ready to be served or stored in a decorative tin.
My daughter who is in college across the country from us asked for peanut butter balls. I found this recipe and liked it because it includes paraffin wax. It was a HUGE hit. Made two batches and gave some as Christmas treats. Now it's after Christmas and I am reprinting the recipe to make more per several requests. Absolutely delicious!!
Was a lot easier than I thought, Really are simple to make. I made 2 batches. My husband really likes them. I love them and I am not a big peanut butter fan. Great recipe.