Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this in a recipe chain letter. We eat a lot of m&c and this one is really the ultimate! It's different (in a good way) that you don't have to cook the sauce first, it bakes right in with the macaroni.
- 1 3⁄4 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 1⁄4 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄3 cups half-and-half or 1 1⁄3 cups light cream
- 1 1⁄3 cups whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated and packed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly butter 13- x 9- x 2-inch glass baking dish.
- Cook macaroni in large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite.
- Drain pasta.
- Transfer to prepared dish.
- Mix in cubed cheese.
- Whisk flour, salt, mustard, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg in medium bowl until no lumps remain.
- Gradually whisk in half and half, then whipping cream and sour cream.
- Add eggs and whisk to blend.
- Pour over macaroni mixture; stir to blend.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over.
- Bake macaroni and cheese until just set around edges but sauce is still liquid in center, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes to thicken slightly (sauce will be creamy).
We really liked this macaroni and cheese,the nutmeg was a nice addition as were the cheese chunks. The cayenne gave it a nice kick and the sauce was creamy. Ten minutes before it was cooked I added a sliced tomato to the top and a little more grated cheese, for a delicious meat free meal. I used 2 cups elbow macaroni and got 4 servings as a main dish.
Nix the nutmeg. I like nutmeg, but it was too strong for this dish. Also, the sauce resembled cottage cheese, which I also like, but not as a texture for mac n cheese. We ate one portion each and threw the rest away.
One of my favorite things to eat is macaroni and cheese and this is a fabulous recipe. It's just different enough to make it special. Everyone I've made it for loves it!