Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
And that's not even counting all the "mac and cheeses"! I promise you, though, this is not like the others. I've studied them in search of the perfect macaroni and cheese, and this is the result. That said, everyone has their own conception of the perfect mac n cheese. Mine is cheesy and creamy. Not mild, not cakey, not saucy. Adjust seasonings and salt to your taste.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup havarti cheese, grated
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, grated
- 16 ounces macaroni, cooked and drained
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat and whisk in flour to make a paste.
- Whisk in cream and milk, stir frequently and bring almost to a boil, so it is somewhat thickened.
- Reduce heat to medium low and stir in these amounts of each cheese (the rest is reserved for the topping): 2 cups cheddar, 3/4 cup havarti, and 1/2 cup parmesan.
- When cheese is melted, stir in sour cream and heat through.
- Pour sauce in a greased 9 x 13 baking pan and gently stir in macaroni, coating it with the sauce.
- Mix the remainder of the cheese (1 cup cheddar, 1/4 cup havarti, 1/2 cup parmesan, 1/2 cup romano).and sprinkle evenly over the top.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven until bubbly and top is lightly browned (about 30 minutes).