I have tried many different Lasagna recipes over the years. This is the culmination of all that trial and error, a wonderful recipe that needs to be shared with the world. The ingredients and actual recipe are at the end of this article. I know you won’t be disappointed with my Best Lasagna Recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 23 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 11. Start with the following in a pot.
- 21 pound of sweet Italian sausage.
- 31 pound of ground beef.
- 41/2 cup of chopped onions.
- 52 cloves of garlic chopped.
- 6Brown the ground beef, Italian sausage, onions and garlic in a pot until they start to look. It takes about 6 to 9 minutes to brown the meat. I like to use a Dutch oven to cook this portion of the recipe. I use a medium low temperature to brown the meat. It is optional to remove the grease from the meat once it is finished browning, your choice.
- 72. Add the following:.
- 81 (28 ounce) can of crushed tomatoes.
- 92 (8 ounce) cans of tomato sauce.
- 102 (6 ounce) cans of tomato paste.
- 111/2 cup of water.
- 12Gently stir this into the cooking meat.
- 133. Add the following:.
- 142 tablespoons white sugar.
- 151 teaspoon fennel seed.
- 162 teaspoons fresh Basil leaves chopped.
- 172 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley chopped.
- 181 teaspoon salt.
- 191 teaspoon Italian Seasoning.
- 201/2 teaspoon ground pepper.
- 21Gently stir these seasoning into the sauce.
- 22Cover the pot and let the meat sauce simmer. Simmer on low heat for 1 hour and 30 minutes
- 234. Soak 12 lasagna noodles.
- 24The lasagna noodles need to be soaked in hot tap water for 15 minutes.
- 255. While the noodles are soaking you can make the cheese filling.
- 26Put the following in a mixing bowl:.
- 2723 ounces of ricotta cheese.
- 281/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 29Grate fresh nutmeg over the Ricotta cheese.
- 306. Add the following.
- 311 egg.
- 322 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley chopped.
- 33Mix these ingredients together with a spoon.
- 347. Now we start building the lasagna layers.
- 35Use a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- 36Spread 2 Cups of meat sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- 37Remove your lasagna noodles out of the water bath. Shake water off wet noodles.
- 38Lay 6 noodles across the layer of sauce.
- 39Spread half of the ricotta cheese mixture over the layer of noodles.
- 40Spread 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese over the ricotta layer.
- 41Sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese over the mozzarella layer.
- 42Spread 2 cups of meat sauce over the cheese layer.
- 43Lay down the next layer of noodles.
- 44Spread the remaining ricotta mixture over noodles.
- 45Spread the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses saving some cheese for the top of the lasagna.
- 46Put the last layer of meat sauce on the cheeses.
- 47Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- 488. Cover with foil.
- 49Bake in preheated oven at 350 for 25 minutes.
- 50Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 25 minutes.
- 51Remove from oven and allow to cool for approximately 15 minutes.
- 52To show your appreciation for this great lasagna recipe please click on the advertiser’s links on this blog.
- 53This helps pay for the hosting cost of the website. Thanks and enjoy!
- 54–Serves 12 people–.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The #1 Lasagna Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (359 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.2
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 118.6 mg
- Sodium 1368.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 37.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: