Member #610488's Note:
This chaat recipe is from Tamil Nadu Province, India.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup black gram, washed soaked for 3 hours ground to a fine paste adding very little water
- 1 piece ginger, grated (2 inches)
- 3 green chilies, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- oil, for deep frying
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons chat masala
- cilantro leaf, chopped (garnish)
- tamarind chutney (garnish)
- 1Combine the ground lentil paste with ginger, chillis and salt. Whip well to incorporate a lot of air into the batter.
- 2Pre-heat oil in a deep frying vessel on medium heat. When hot, place a sheet of plastic wrap in your palm and place a little batter and shape into a big lemon sized ball and drop slowly into the hot oil. Continue adding balls to the oil until no more space. Deep fry on medium heat for 10 minutes and then fry on high heat till golden brown.
- 3Remove these deep fried vadas from the hot oil and place them into a bowl of luke warm water. Leave them in it for 15-20 seconds. Remove and gently press between your palms so that excess water oozes out. Keep them aside.
- 4Finish making vadas with the rest of the remaining batter and put them in water like you did for the earlier batch, remove excess water and keep aside.
- 5Add the water, red chilli powder, cumin powder and salt to the yogurt.
- 6Place the vadas on a baking sheet and pour the yogurt mixture evenly all over the vadas, covering them completely. Chill the vadas for sometime before serving. At the time of serving, take 2-3 vadas and place them in a serving plate and sprinkle some chaat powder and garnish with cilantro leaves and tamarind chutney.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thayir Vada (Yogurt Chaat Balls)
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 66.6
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 10.6 mg
- Sodium 49.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: