Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
From RR magazine, March 2008.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 10 shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley (a generous handful)
- In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, 20 minutes.
- While the shallots are cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the spaghetti and cook until al dente. Pour 3 ladlefuls of the pasta cooking water into the cooked shallots and stir. Drain the pasta and add to the shallots. Add the cheese and parsley, season with pepper and toss.
This is one of my favorite things to eat. Chopping the shallots is torture, but in the end it is worth it because this pasta is SO GOOD!