Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A 30 minute meal by Rachael Ray. Haven't tried it yet, but sounds simple and good. Update...I just read in one of Rachael Ray's recent magazines. . .someone asked her for her 3 favorite recipes and this was oen of them. Kind of funny.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 10 shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley (a generous handful)
- In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, 20 minutes.
- While the shallots are cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the spaghetti and cook until al dente. Pour 2 ladlefuls of the pasta cooking water into the cooked shallots and stir. Drain the pasta and add to the shallots. Add the cheese and parsley, season with pepper and toss.
YUM! Sweet caramelization! I used the whole amount listed of oil, shallots, and garlic, and then cut the rest by about 1/2. Also, I seasoned with "everyday seasoning" by Trader Joe's. It has red pepper flakes in it and gave the dish a tiny little kick. Even my meat-loving husband liked this. I would make this again! The Shady Ladies, ZWT7
This certainly has a lot of flavour! The shallots caramelized beautifully. I did use a few extra shallots, about 15, to save leaving a few in the bag and wasting them. Next time I'll try adding some white wine to the shallots in place of the pasta water as I imagine that would really compliment the flavour. Made for ZWT7.
I make this all the time, it is one of my favorite pasta dishes! When I saw it in Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine I knew I had to try it and have made it several times. The worst part is chopping the shallots, that is torture on your eyes, but it is worth it for this delicious dish!