Recipe by COOKGIRl
A modified granola recipe from the Alexander Homestead Bed and Breakfast in St. Augustine, Florida as found online. I took twists and turns with this recipe. *Please* be sure you start with fresh ingredients-especially the wheat germ and nuts as they are notorious for going rancid quickly. Mmmm, try the granola over plain or flavored yogurt!
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 3⁄4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup almonds, chopped coarsely
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil or 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey (I used orange blossom flavored honey)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar ("Sucanat") or 1⁄4 cup unbleached cane sugar ("Sucanat")
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (NOT imitation)
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup tart dried cherries
- 1⁄3 cup dried strawberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, walnuts or almonds, cinnamon and cardamom.
- In a heatproof glass bowl, microwave the oil, honey and brown sugar for 1 minute. Stir in vanilla extract. Stir oil/honey mixture into oatmeal mixture and combine well. (The mixture will not be very moist.).
- Divide and spread the oatmeal mixture onto 2 baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes; check the granola periodically and stir to avoid burning. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until medium golden brown.
- Turn off heat and allow granola to cool in oven.
- Stir in the dried fruit. If necessary, add more cinnamon or cardamom, to taste.
- Store granola in airtight container and refrigerate.