A modified granola recipe from the Alexander Homestead Bed and Breakfast in St. Augustine, Florida as found online. I took twists and turns with this recipe. *Please* be sure you start with fresh ingredients-especially the wheat germ and nuts as they are notorious for going rancid quickly. Mmmm, try the granola over plain or flavored yogurt!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup almonds, chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup corn oil or 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey (I used orange blossom flavored honey)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar ("Sucanat") or 1/4 cup unbleached cane sugar ("Sucanat")
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (NOT imitation)
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup tart dried cherries
- 1/3 cup dried strawberries
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, walnuts or almonds, cinnamon and cardamom.
- 3In a heatproof glass bowl, microwave the oil, honey and brown sugar for 1 minute. Stir in vanilla extract. Stir oil/honey mixture into oatmeal mixture and combine well. (The mixture will not be very moist.).
- 4Divide and spread the oatmeal mixture onto 2 baking sheets.
- 5Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes; check the granola periodically and stir to avoid burning. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until medium golden brown.
- 6Turn off heat and allow granola to cool in oven.
- 7Stir in the dried fruit. If necessary, add more cinnamon or cardamom, to taste.
- 8Store granola in airtight container and refrigerate.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for That's Grrrreat Granola!
Serving Size: 1 (1148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 884.5
- Calories from Fat 422
- Total Fat 46.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 12.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.0 g
- Sugars 27.6 g
- Protein 24.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: