Recipe by mom24boys
Even my pickiest eaters really liked this casserole. It is a great vegetarian meal when made with vegetable broth and no bacon and stills taste just as wonderful. Don't be put off by the list of ingredients or the long looking directions. It goes together very easily! I just like to really be specific because I write these recipes up for my 11 year old son to cook for the family.
Top Review by freckledfoodgirl
this was very yummy. my kids had other opinions based on its appearance, but i loved it! i thinkit's good with a dollop of sour cream on top and might be good served with hot naan.
- 2 3⁄4 cups vegetable broth or 2 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 1 lb bacon (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 lb dried brown lentils or 1 lb dry green lentils
- 6 cups water
- garlic powder, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated and divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until rice is tender and all liquid has been absorbed.
- Dice bacon, if using and lightly sauté (perhaps 5 minutes)in large pot or dutch oven. Add lentils, cumin, oregano, and water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a slow simmer. Cook for 45-60 minutes, adding more water if needed.
- 10-15 minutes before lentils are done, heat oil in frying pan and sauté zucchini and onion until hot yet still crisp (about 5 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- When lentils are tender, add lemon juice, rice, 3/4 of the cheese, and zucchini, mixing well. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.
- Turn mixture into 9x13 dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.