Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This may just convert those who think they don't like beets. My late Mom grew beets in her garden and this was one of her favorite recipes. It is easy to cut in half....as I do. Cook time is for chilling.
- 1 quart cooked beet, drained (save juice)
- 2 (3 ounce) packages lemon gelatin
- 3 cups beet juice (boiling liquid plus water)
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 tablespoons grated horseradish
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- shredded lettuce
- Coarsely mash beets; set aside.
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling liquid.
- Stir in all other ingredients, including beets.
- Pour into a 9x13x1 inch dish; chill until firmly set.
- Cut into about 3x3 inch servings; place on a bed of shredded lettuce and top with a dollop of mayonnaise.