Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Okay, if you are on a diet...this is not for you. However, if you could only have one recipe for chocolate cake this is it. This is rich and moist...and will satisfy any chocoholic looking to get a bit of a treat. This was published in Best the Best published by Food and Wine. This recipe originated from The Essence of Chocolate.
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup boiling water
- For the Frosting:.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the sugar and the cream and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer for 6 minutes. Add the chocolate and the butter and stir until melted. Pour into a bowl and stir in the vanilla.
- Let the frosting cool, whisking gently from time to time. Do not over whip, or you will create air bubbles.
- For the Cake:.
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F Lightly butter the bottom of two 9 inch round cake pans.
- Line the bottom with parchment paper then butter and flour the parchment paper. and the sides of the pans.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, baking soda, mixing on low spead. Mix in the eggs, oil and milk.
- Increase the spped to medium, and beat for 2 minutes, reduce the speed to low and mix in the water. The batter will know be soupy.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes, then turn the layers out onto the rack and cool completely.
- When the cakes have cooled, check the frosting. It should have the consistency of mayonnaise. If it is still too thin, let it cool longer.
- To Frost the Cake:.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread the frosting with a hot palette knife or icing spatula to give the frosting a beautiful shine: Run the knife under hot tap water and dry with a towel. Spread about 3/4 cup of the frosting over the top of the first layer. Top with the second layer. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake, heating the knife again as necessary.
Best chocolate cake ever!!! My daughter made this cake recently and everyone raved about it. I have requested this cake for my birthday...can't wait!