Recipe by ursie639
For me yams are all butter, brown sugar and orange juice. Orange flavor is absolutely incredible with yams!
- 4 lbs yams
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 6 tablespoons half-and-half (warmed)
- 6 tablespoons orange juice (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- cinnamon (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, quarter lengthwise and cut potatoes crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Combine the sweet potatoes, 1/2 t salt, sugar, and water in a large pot.
- Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the potatoes fall apart when poked with a fork (45 - 60 minutes).
- Off the heat, mash the sweet potatoes in the saucepan with a potato masher or food mill. Stir in the melted butter, half-and-half, orange juice, and orange zest with a wooden spoon until incorporated.
- Season with additional orange juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste.