Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Very easy and flavorful dish to make with your leftover turkey! My mother handed down this family recipe and my kids look forward to it every year. Great to make on the weekend after Thanksgiving. It is holiday/comfort food at it's best! We enjoy ours in a big bowl over rice while watching football!!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 -2 lb turkey
- 1 -2 lb smoked sausage (no beef)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 cup water
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Saute all vegetebals in 2 tbs butter until onion is clear and place into a large stock pot.
- Make a roux - pour 2 tbs vegetable oil into skillet and add 1/2 cup flour.
- Brown til flour reaches desired color.
- Stir in 2 cans of chicken broth.
- Add roux to vegetables in stock pot along with the 3rd can of chicken broth. (I use leftover turkey broth if I have enough.).
- Add leftover turkey and smoked sausage.
- Add 1 can of diced tomatoes and 1 can of Rotel tomatoes.
- Add water as needed and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- Serve over rice!