Recipe by CHEF GRPA
Wondering what to do with the leftover turkey and mashed potatoes? Make this easy and tasty leftover turkey casserole dish. All the comfort of a traditional shepherd's pie with the vibrant flavors of Thanksgiving dinner! This is one of my favorite ways to spreading the joy of the holiday meal into the entire week. (Heck, it's great ANY time of the year!)
- 2 cups turkey, cubed, leftover from thanksgiving
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- leftover mashed potato, from thanksgiving
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted for dotting top
- paprika, sweet mild, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute vegetables in butter and olive oil until tender but not brown. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme. Stir in cooked, cubed turkey.
- Place in a casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes. Dot with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, 350*F. for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are browned and casserole is heated through.
- If you have leftover sweet potatoes they are great mixed with the mashed potatoes and spread over the top.