Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is not some recipe I found, it is just my personal way of marinating / seasoning any kind of meat. I use a flavor injector, an electric Roasting oven, some oven bags, foil, ties, pop-up timer and a basting brush. * I use this same seasoning for a pork roast for Christmas ;)
- 20 lbs whole turkey
- 1⁄2 cup goya adobo seasoning (or more)
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice, plus
- 1 additional lime, halved
- 2 tablespoons oregano
For the day of Baking
- 5 large garlic cloves, mashed, divided
- 1 cup butter, divided (2 sticks)
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 week before Turkey Day, while it thaws, or 3 Days before if fresh, clean it and wash it with cold water.
- Rub the bird inside and out with the limes, lightly squeezing as you work. Liberally sprinkle with the adobo seasoning.
- In a food processor or blender lightly pulse the olive oil, the 10 garlic gloves, lime juice, oregano, cilantro for about 10 seconds or until garlic is puréed. With your hands rub this mixture over and inside the bird. Put it in an oven bag with the marinade, tie the open end of the bag very tightly and put back in the fridge until ready to prepare.
- On the day of Baking:.
- Preheat roasting oven to 325 degrees F or refer to a turkey guide for time/temperature by pound (try this one www.kraftfoods.com /kf/ ff/ HolidayFocus/ Turkey101 ).
- Melt half of the butter with half of the mashed garlic and put in a flavor injector. Open the oven bag (don't discard) where the turkey is and inject garlic butter in meaty areas, breast, leg, etc. Put the peppers and onions in the bag, tie the legs, insert the timer according to directions and retie the bag.
- Put turkey while still in the bag in the oven and bake according to directions. If you don't have a roasting oven, just put the turkey while in the bag in a pan and cover with foil. This will help keep the turkey tender.
- Preheat stove oven to 325-350 degrees F. Melt the rest of the butter with the rest of the garlic. An hour and a half before its done, transfer the turkey and the marinade to a roasting pan(remove it from the bag) or remove the foil, and brush with the garlic butter (for browning and crisp skin).
- Roast / Bake for the remainder time and bathe it with its juice every 20 mins until its golden brown.
- Allow it to cool down a bit before carving, so that all the juices settle. Serve and garnish to your liking and use the juice for your gravy.
- Variations! 1.)add 2 tbsp brown sugar to the garlic butter for brushing for a sweet taste. 2.) Or add canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to the marinade and chop in food processor for a spicy flavor, sprinkle the turkey with cayenne pepper for extra spicy. 3.)Or add half a jar of "Salsa Verde" to the marinade.
It sounds like it'll taste great...especially with the added touch on step 11...5 stars...I will try this on thanksgiving