1/1 Photo of Thanksgiving Rush Mashed Potato Casserole
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
My favorite mashed potatoes to prepare for Thanksgiving. Adapted from Taste of Home and eaten many times over the years to raves from the family. Easy to make ahead and travel with if necessary as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 large baking potatoes, peeled and quartered (such as Russet, about 5 -6 inches long each)
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream or 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese or 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature and cut into chunks
- 6 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced onion flakes (or use fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- sweet Hungarian paprika, to garnish
- 1Set potatoes into a large stock pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil.
- 2As soon as it starts to boil, lower the heat, cover, and cook for about 20-25 minutes or until your potatoes are very tender (time will vary based on actual size of your potatoes).
- 3Drain and set back into the pan (no heat) and mash.
- 4Add sour cream, neufchatel cheese, 4 Tbsp of the butter, onion, and salt to taste and stir until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- 5Spread evenly into a greased 9x13" glass baking dish, and using the back of a wooden spoon, press shallow craters into the surface evenly across the potatoes.
- 6Melt remaining butter and drizzle over the surface- some should pool up in the craters.
- 7Sprinkle with a little paprika to garnish.
- 8Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 40 minutes.
- 9Remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.
- 10To MAKE AHEAD: Prepare potatoes up until the part where you cover with foil- set the foil coverd pan in the fridge overnight; when ready to bake, set the pan on the counter for 30 minutes before placing into the preheated oven and bake as above.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thanksgiving Rush Mashed Potato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.6
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 44.1 mg
- Sodium 209.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 5.7 g