Recipe by HeatherFeather
My favorite mashed potatoes to prepare for Thanksgiving. Adapted from Taste of Home and eaten many times over the years to raves from the family. Easy to make ahead and travel with if necessary as well.
Top Review by chia
this is ultimate comfort food! i could eat this all and forgo the main course. i added a bunch of chopped fresh chives and alot of fresh ground pepper. i also sauteed 1 chopped onion in butter with paprika and added it in before baking. wonderful side dish
- 10 large baking potatoes, peeled and quartered (such as Russet, about 5 -6 inches long each)
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream or 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese or 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature and cut into chunks
- 6 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced onion flakes (or use fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- sweet Hungarian paprika, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Set potatoes into a large stock pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil.
- As soon as it starts to boil, lower the heat, cover, and cook for about 20-25 minutes or until your potatoes are very tender (time will vary based on actual size of your potatoes).
- Drain and set back into the pan (no heat) and mash.
- Add sour cream, neufchatel cheese, 4 Tbsp of the butter, onion, and salt to taste and stir until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Spread evenly into a greased 9x13" glass baking dish, and using the back of a wooden spoon, press shallow craters into the surface evenly across the potatoes.
- Melt remaining butter and drizzle over the surface- some should pool up in the craters.
- Sprinkle with a little paprika to garnish.
- Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.
- To MAKE AHEAD: Prepare potatoes up until the part where you cover with foil- set the foil coverd pan in the fridge overnight; when ready to bake, set the pan on the counter for 30 minutes before placing into the preheated oven and bake as above.