This has been a tradition with our family for many years to make with leftover turkey for Thanksgiving or you can use anytime and use chicken instead. When I originally got this recipe I felt that the sauce ingredients were not enough and always double the sauce. So if you find that the sauce is too much then just cut the ingredients in half, which is the original recipe! Also, I have never used the minced pimiento. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sifted flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup minced pimiento (optional)
- 2 -3 cups bite-sized cooked turkey or 2 -3 cups chicken meat
- 1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles, cooked by pkg. directions and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, cooked by pkg. directions and drained
- 1 cup soft white bread crumbs mixed with 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- For sauce melt butter in a large saucepan over moderate heat and blend in flour using a whisk; slowly whisk in broth and milk, add bouillon cubes, salt and pepper, and heat, stirring until mixture thickens, using your whisk.
- Remove from heat, mix in all remaining ingredients except topping, in an extra large bowl.
- Spoon into a buttered 13x9 dish or a buttered 2-quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle top with topping mix and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- If desired top with chow mein noodles instead of topping. Scatter over casserole for last 5 minutes of baking.