Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
The recipe for these spicy cookies is almost as old as the first Thanksgiving. Replace the raisins and walnuts (1 1/2 cups, 375 ml) with chocolate chips or small gumdrops or trail mix (425 ml). I found this recipe in Bake And Make Amazing Cookies. I have not tried this recipe.
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar (250 ml)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature (125 ml)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons orange juice (45 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (5 ml)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (500 ml)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (5 ml)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (5 ml)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice (2 ml)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (2 ml)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (1 ml)
- 1 cup raisins (250 ml)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (175 ml)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Beat together the sugar and butter until creamy. Stir in the eggs, orange juice, and vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Mix well. Stir in the raisins and walnuts.
- Drop the dough by teaspoonful onto the baking sheet about 1 1/2-inch apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until golden. Cool for 3 minutes, then transfer cookies to the cooling rack. Cool completely.