Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from the Phillipsburg, KS United Methodist Church cookbook from 1984. The original recipe was just called "Green Beans". My sisters and I have nicknamed them 1000 calorie green beans but I now call them Thanksgiving Green Beans since this is when I usually make them.
- Place green beans in a 9x9" baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Top with Swiss Cheese.
- In saucepan, melt 2 Tablespoons butter, add onion and cook until softened.
- Add flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add sour cream, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes until thickened.
- Pour over Swiss cheese.
- Melt remaining 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine and combine with cornflake crumbs.
- Spread over sour cream sauce.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenehit for 30 minutes or until browned and bubbling around the sides.
I used yellow beans instead of green beans... I think next time, I would mix the swiss into the sauce as I didn't love the texture of just the cheese on top. Thanks for the Thanksgiving classic! Made for PAC Fall 2012