Recipe by Grandma Deb
This recipe is from the Phillipsburg, KS United Methodist Church cookbook from 1984. The original recipe was just called "Green Beans". My sisters and I have nicknamed them 1000 calorie green beans but I now call them Thanksgiving Green Beans since this is when I usually make them.
Top Review by Cadillacgirl
I used yellow beans instead of green beans... I think next time, I would mix the swiss into the sauce as I didn't love the texture of just the cheese on top. Thanks for the Thanksgiving classic! Made for PAC Fall 2012
- 2 (850.48 g) can green beans, drained
- 226.79 g swiss cheese
- 59.16 ml butter or 59.16 ml margarine, divided
- 59.14 ml onion, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml flour
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 354.88 ml corn flakes, crumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Place green beans in a 9x9" baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Top with Swiss Cheese.
- In saucepan, melt 2 Tablespoons butter, add onion and cook until softened.
- Add flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add sour cream, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes until thickened.
- Pour over Swiss cheese.
- Melt remaining 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine and combine with cornflake crumbs.
- Spread over sour cream sauce.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenehit for 30 minutes or until browned and bubbling around the sides.