Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from the Phillipsburg, KS United Methodist Church cookbook from 1984. The original recipe was just called "Green Beans". My sisters and I have nicknamed them 1000 calorie green beans but I now call them Thanksgiving Green Beans since this is when I usually make them.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans green beans, drained
- 8 ounces swiss cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn flakes, crumbs
- Place green beans in a 9x9" baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Top with Swiss Cheese.
- In saucepan, melt 2 Tablespoons butter, add onion and cook until softened.
- Add flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add sour cream, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes until thickened.
- Pour over Swiss cheese.
- Melt remaining 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine and combine with cornflake crumbs.
- Spread over sour cream sauce.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenehit for 30 minutes or until browned and bubbling around the sides.
I used yellow beans instead of green beans... I think next time, I would mix the swiss into the sauce as I didn't love the texture of just the cheese on top. Thanks for the Thanksgiving classic! Made for PAC Fall 2012