Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From TOH. Like my Mom used to make.
- turkey giblets, and neck bone
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups cold water
- 1⁄4 cup turkey drippings
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Place the giblets, neck bone, broth, carrots, celery & shallots in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Strain and discard giblets, neckbone and vegetables; set cooking juices aside. In antoher large saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir in the drippings and bouillon until smooth. Gradually stir in the reserved cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Season with pepper.
I like this recipe better than most others because it uses cornstarch instead of flour to thicken the gravy.
My family raved about this gravy. Will definitely have it again.
This recipe is pretty much almost the same as my grandmas stuffing recipe, all its missing is the day old dry bread cubes. This is the first time i seen it made as a gravy and the thanksgiving gravy im using this year