Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
This has a sweet and mellow pumpking layer topped with a crunchy nutty topping. It is a welcome change from pumpkin pie.
- 2 eggs
- 1 (19 ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
- 1 (12 ounce) can condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix (9x13 size)
- 1 cup butter, melted
- In a large mixing bowl,whisk the eggs.
- Stir in the pumpkin pie filling, condensed mik and spices.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Sprinkle the DRY cake mix over the pumpking mixture.
- Carefully pour the melted butter over top.
- Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes until set.
- Cool to room temperature then refrigerate.
- Serve with Cool Whip on the side.
It's a pumpkin dump cake! I used a cinnamon streusel quick bread mix instead of regular cake mix, and it is divine! You could also dot pieces of cut butter on the top instead of melting and trying to drizzle it evenly (mine pooled). I used 2 cups of homemade pumpkin pie filling (without any eggs or milk), then added in the eggs and can of condensed milk, spread the mix and streusel topping, and then half a cup of butter (which was enough but would have been alright with more). Nice!
I was afraid it would be too sweet, even with cream cheese added in, but the saltiness (from the butter?) takes the edge off. I used half butter, half oil. I softened the cream cheese, but it still didn't dissipate as much as I would have liked; still it was a rich and decadent addition. I also sprinkled pecan pcs on top. I didn't have yellow cake mix, but butter pecan did a good job.
This fills the pumpkin requirement for a dessert. It seems like it would taste strange with the cake mix sprinkled on the top, but it was delicious! I was told that it should be served as a sweet treat bar at a coffee shop. The texture is a little thicker than pumpkin pie on the bottom, and hard and crumbly on top - like a coffee cake but a little more solid. I will make this again! OH and I like the suggestion of adding in cream cheese to the pumpkin part, and trying it with spice cake - could be really good.