Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I can remember my mom making these only on Thanksgiving day so I kept up the tradition, but they are delicious anytime. My mom being the master of improvise,used ingredients she had on hand.That's why they are so simple and tasty. I finely dice the onions and celery while I'm chopping them for my stuffing.
- 20 medium stuffing mushrooms
- 1 cup butter (margarine is ok)
- 1 small onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 3⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (more or less)
- 2 teaspoons of grated parmesan cheese (more or less) or 2 teaspoons romano cheese (more or less)
- Do not wash mushrooms.
- Wipe clean with paper towel.
- Pull out stems
- Place Buttons in shallow baking pan.
- Finely dice celery and onion.
- In a 10in. fry pan, melt butter
- Saute onions and celery until translucent.
- Turn off heat.
- Add bread crumbs and grated cheese until consistency of stuffing.
- After stuffing mushrooms,bake In 375 degree oven for approximately 20-30 minutes (optional:sprinkle chopped stems over mushrooms or save to add to the gravy).
This recipe made more stuffing than I needed for my 20 mushrooms, but it sure was delicious! My husband would have gladly eaten them all, cold.