Recipe by Rita~
This Tangy Thanksgiving Chutney is a mixture of Rhubarb, red onions, apples, chestnuts, cranberries, dried cherries with brown sugar, balsamic and spices. Use as a condiment with meat or poultry. Spread inside a left over turkey sandwich. Served over warmed crumbled goat cheese or creamy brie on top of toasted bread, it makes an elegant holiday hors d'oeuvre for the holidays.
- 12 ounces frozen cranberries or 12 ounces fresh cranberries, 3 cups
- 2 medium gala apples, 8 ounces or 2 cups diced apples
- 1 lb rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 7 ounces chestnuts (From the jar is easy)
- 6 ounces dried cherries (1 cup diced)
- 8 ounces red onions, thinly sliced (2cups sliced)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger (2 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stainless steel pot add all the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil for 5 minutes stirring often then reduce heat to simmer.
- Let the chutney simmer – uncovered – for 1½-2 hours.
- Stirring frequently while cooking.
- Jar and chill or process in a water bath for longer shelf life.