Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is very easy to make and, oh so refreshing to drink. Note that there's a minimum 2-hour refrigeration time.
- 1 1⁄2 liters water
- 1 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon almonds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds, raw, hulled
- 1⁄2 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon anise seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon rose water (optional) or 1 teaspoon orange flower water (optional)
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1⁄4 cup rose petal, organic (optional)
- Soak sugar in 1/2 litre of the water used. Set aside.
- Soak remaining ingredients in 2 cups of remaining water. Set aside.
- Allow all soaked items to stand for at least 2 hours.
- Grind all soaked ingredients to a very fine paste. (not sugar) in a processor or blender.
- Place a double layer of cheesecloth or a coffee filter over/in a strainer and set over a large container/pitcher.
- Press through muslin with the back of a spoon, extracting as much liquid as possible.
- Add remaining water, a little at a time to extract more of the nut liquid.
- Pour back some of the extract and press, repress. Do this a number of times to extract as much flavour out of the nut paste as possible.
- Mix well. Chill for atleast 2 hours before serving. You may need to give the drink a stir before pouring.
- To serve, sprinkle some rose petals over each serving (optional).
- Note: Do not discard the nut paste - it is excellent used in making korma-type curries.
I knew about almond drink, but I never prepared some! It's very easy and with these spices it's delicious as well.
The rose water addition makes of this oriental drink a dream!
Serve cold! It's a great alternative without alcohol!
Delish I really enjoyed this. I just should have known to cut the sugar in half for my taste. This is very sweet and I`m sure that the sugar gives it the body. I used rose water and did buy orange for the next time I make this. And I will make it again! This would be great in a bread pudding used as the milk for those that are lactose intolerant or for those that want a great added flavor to the pudding. Thanks Ev!
You're right! Refreshing and super simple to make. My regret is that I didn't discover this earlier so I could have enjoyed it all summer. Thanks Evelyn! ***This recipe was reviewed for the game Zaar Tag***