Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Thalhimers was a Richmond institution and their spoonbread was one of the best.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 3⁄4 cup white cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Pour margarine into 8" square baking pan.
- Place cornmeal in a mixing bowl.
- Pour boiling water over.
- Mix well.
- Stir in flour, milk, eggs, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Beat with a wire whisk until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until firm and golden brown, 30-35 minutes.