Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Lovely vibrant fresh flavoured curry with a stunning yellow colour. Very fast and easy!
- 2 red chilies, depending on desired spice level (or substitute green)
- 1 small cooking onion
- 1 piece galangal or 1 piece ginger, about 4cm long, sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried turmeric or 4 cm fresh turmeric, about 4cm long, sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, snipped into small pieces with scissors (discard central stem)
- 1 (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (or juice from 1/2 lime)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 kg chicken piece
- 1 stalk lemongrass or 2 slices lemon rind
- 2 potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into wedges
- 1 red capsicum, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 -2 additional kaffir lime leaf, left whole
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander or 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, torn, to finish the dish
- Put all curry paste ingredients in a blender/food processor/ mortar and pestle, blend until quite smooth.
- Put chicken pieces and potatoes into a casserole dish, pour curry sauce over, cover and cook in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Gently burst each tomato. Remove casserole from oven and add tomatoes and capsicum. Stir, cover and return to oven for another 20 minutes.
- Taste - add more chilli, lemon, salt or sugar as desired. Serve with steamed Jasmine or Basmati rice.
Very tasty. We thought it needed salt, and perhaps something more, but couldn't put our fingers on it. Even still, very good. Lots of flavor, plenty of sauce. Thanks for sharing.