Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from a coworker. She brings this salad to all the potlucks. Everyone always devours it with raves! Everyone always wants the recipe and she was happy to oblige. Wonderful flavors! She has since moved on and so I am posting it here so I don't lose it. It is written exactly as she provided. I am going to have to look up the red pepper sauce she uses and make it to figure out the amounts. Then I will edit the recipe with more exact directions.
- 2 -3 large yams, baked until tender then cubed
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 scallions or 1 green onion, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup raw pumpkin seeds (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- sesame oil, to taste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 2 -3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce (to taste)
- 1 (5 ounce) bottlethai red pepper sauce (the bottle with the rooster on the label)
- Mix dressing together.
- Pour over other ingredients; mix well.
- Serve chilled or warm.
- Cooking time is for baking the yams.
First a warning: If you do not like spicy, look elsewhere. If you are serving small children, look elsewhere. If you are fond of blandness, then definitely look elsewhere! :) This dish is INCREDIBLY spicy. We had tears running down our cheeks, our sinuses were cleared for the next year, and we were guzzling milk. BUT! The adults at my house practically bowed down at my feet after eating this. After one bite, they said it was 5 stars. After 2 they asked when they could have it again. I am not as big a fan of heat, but I couldn't stop eating it, either. Beyond, through, and after the heat, this dish has a lovely balance of flavors which I loved. Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting. Made for ZWT4, but I WILL be making this again!
Try this salad - you won't be disappointed! The flavors and textures are really good together. I used a small amount of chile paste with garlic in lieu of the red pepper sauce. The amount of oil and soy sauce make enough dressing for a double recipe (4-5 yams). Loved this salad!
ok wow this was great . i didnt use as much hot sauce but this salad is AWESOME try this one it works. made for best of 2012