Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this recipe from a cooking class I attended. The glaze would also be good on other seafood or pork. Recipe by chef Brian Patterson.
- 2 -4 whole rockfish or 2 -4 whole similar white fish fillets, gutted & cleaned,head on
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely julienned ginger
- 1⁄4 cup finely julienned red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- Score each side of the fish with 3-4 small shallow cuts.
- Combine all marinade ingredients and marinate the fish for at least an hour or up to overnight.
- Prepare the glaze: Place the oil and garlic in a small saucepan, place on medium heat.
- Simmer until garlic begins to turn golden.
- Strain and let cool.
- In another small pot, combine sugar and vinegar, bring to a boil, and simmer for one minute.
- Add fish sauce, ginger, bell pepper, chili paste, and 3 Tbsp of the garlic oil.
- Cook together for 3-5 minutes until sauce reduces slightly.
- Making sure your grill is clean and well-lubricated with plenty of vegetable oil (or using a specially designed fish grilling basket), grill fish over medium heat, approximately 7 minutes per side or until flesh is just opaque at the bone.
- Plate fish and spoon sauce over each fish.
- One small fish is a perfect entrée for one person, share larger fish between two people.
- Serves 4.
Made this with flake fish fillets. Wouldn't change a thing !
We made this last night with a fresh large-mouth bass that my daughter caught the day before. It was excellent! I probably made too much of the vegetables, but I'm going to use it to top other things (I think it would be great on eggs, baked chicken, etc.) We will definitely make this one again!