Recipe by Shuzbud
This is an easy beginner's curry. It is a very flexible recipe- you can use whatever vegetables you prefer or have to hand.The flavours are not spicy but more fresh and slightly fruity (from the mango chutney). You could of course add more spice to tailor it to your preferences. I have organised this recipe to be quick, but you do have two pans on the go at once- the vegetables in the saucepan and the skillet. If you prefer an easier pace, boil the potatoes, add the broccoli and cauliflower then drain and set aside when cooked. Then when you are ready, prepare the spice paste and cook the red bell pepper in the skillet.
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 8ths
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock (I used 1 cube and hot water)
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- freshly cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the spice paste: blend the garlic, onion, almonds, coriander, cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of the oil in a blender or food processor until a smooth paste is formed.
- In a skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over a medium heat and add the red bell pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, until slightly softened.
- By now the potatoes should have boiled for 10 minutes, so add the cauliflower and broccoli florets to the potatoes in the saucepan and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the spice paste to the red bell pepper in the skillet and cook for a further 4 minutes.
- When the potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower are cooked, remove them from the heat, drain and set aside.
- Add the coconut milk and vegetable stock to the spice paste in the skillet and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the mango chutney. Add the cooked potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower and heat through for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve immediately with freshly cooked rice.
- NB: This keeps well in the fridge and can be reheated in he microwave the next day.