1/1 Photo of Thai Vegan Coconut Ice Cream
The Blender Girl's Note:
This vegan coconut ice cream was inspired by my many trips to Thailand and is absolutely divine! One really important thing about making coconut ice cream – the base must be really well chilled before churning in the ice cream maker or the ice cream will be too soft and slushy. Try and chill it for a minimum of three or fours hours. Overnight is actually preferable for the best results. Even then, I find that the ice cream never gets to a consistency beyond that of frozen yoghurt in the machine. I like to transfer the ice cream into the freezer for a few hours to solidify it a bit more before serving. I like to add natural coconut flavoring in order to accent the coconut flavor. But it is also wonderful with vanilla extract. It is all a matter of personal preference. You could also add in more shredded coconut if you prefer a crunchier texture. You can also add in cacao powder or fruit to the mix too. But I like it just like this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut cream (about 2 standard 14 ounce/400ml cans)
- 3/4 cup raw agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 cup organic shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring, alcohol free (or 1 tsp natural alcohol free vanilla extract)
- organic soaked and dehydrated nuts (to garnish) (optional)
- 1Stir the arrowroot into 1/2 cup of cold coconut milk.
- 2Heat the rest of the coconut milk, agave and salt in a saucepan until well combined. Just about a minute.
- 3Stir in the arrowroot mixture and stir on medium/low heat until thickened – about 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in the coconut essence and shredded coconut and allow to cool.
- 5Transfer to a bowl and chill in the fridge for at least a few hours (overnight is preferable) until really cold.
- 6Process in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- 7Place in the freezer to solidify and serve serve garnished with nuts and toasted coconut flakes IF it makes it that far! YUM!
- 8If the consistency gets really grainy – place in your blender and pulse quickly before serving to cream it up a bit.
Browse Our Top Ice Cream Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ice Cream Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Vegan Coconut Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 116.4
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 206.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
unsweetened coconut cream