Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
Warm Pineapple Salsa
- 1 ripe cored fresh pineapple
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 small red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 10 -15 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1 1⁄3 lbs ground turkey breast
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot, grated (1-inch piece)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- coarse salt
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 cornmeal-topped rolls, split (or 4 toasted sandwich-size English muffins)
- bibb lettuce (Boston or red leaf lettuce)
- Drain pineapple; cut into pieces that will fit into a food processor.
- Place in processor; process to a coarse, chunky mixture.
- In a skillet over med-high heat; heat sesame oil and red pepper flakes until oil smokes.
- Add pepper and onion; cook a minute or two.
- Add in pineapple; heat through.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar; cook another minute or two.
- Remove from heat and toss in basil; let salsa hang out in the warm pan while you cook the burgers.
- Heat a nonstick skillet/griddle pan over med-high heat.
- Mix turkey, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, curry powder, salt, and green onion; form into 4 patties.
- Cook 4 minutes on each side or until done.
- Serve on rolls with lots of warm pineapple salsa and lettuce.