Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
Try this Thai Shish kebabs with Thai Coconut Lime: Infused Skewers (#2) using 4 skewers or be sure to soak the skewers for at least 30 minutes in water.
- 680.38 g bluefin tuna steaks (cut into 20 cubes)
- 20 frozen pearl onions, defrosted
- 118.29 ml coconut milk, lite unsweetened
- 1-2 Thai peppers, crushed
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 4.92 ml minced fresh ginger
- 4.92 ml minced lemongrass (I used Gourmet Gardens in a tube http ( or or www.gourmetgarden.com or us or index.php)
- 9.85 ml fish sauce or 9.85 ml soy sauce
- 14.79 ml minced basil or 14.79 ml minced cilantro
- 28.39 ml olive oil
- Mix all marinade ingredients except for the oil in a large ziplock bag. Add tuna cubes and pearl onions. Marinade for 60 minutes turning a couple times.
- Thread 5 tuna cube and 5 onions alternating on each soaked skewer.
- Pour the remaining marinade into a small pot and bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Brush olive oil over skewered tuna and onions.
- Preheat grill to medium and lightly wipe with an oiled rag.
- Grill for 5-7 minutes until golden, turning frequently.
- Serve over a bed of rice topped with the heated marinade.
Rita, we loved these kabobs! They were easy to prepare and extremely flavorful! I made no modifications to your ingredients: I used 2 thai dragon peppers that I crushed with a mortar and pestle. I, too, used minced lemongrass from a jar. I used fish sauce, and cilantro instead of basil, as that is what I had on hand. The citrus-y tang of the lime really comes through in the heated marinade served over the kabobs. The only thing I did not do is soak the skewers, as we never do. We served the tuna over basmati rice. Thanks for this keeper!
HOLY COW!! is this ever THE dish of dishes.