1/4 Photos of Thai Tom Kha soup
1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Rodney B.'s Note:
If you like soups as a main dish, this is a great one... hearty and filling. For a more traditional Tom Kha Gai, leave out the bok choy, tomatoes, and bean thread noodles, and add some extra mushrooms. But believe me, this soup is incredible as written. I can never find the galagnal traditionally used in Tom Kha Gai, but if you can get it, I say use some.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (13 1/2 ounce) cans low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk (regular, not lite)
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced in large pieces
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste (use anchovy paste as a substitute)
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 limes, zest of
- 3 limes, juice of
- 3 serrano chili peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, julienned in fine,short 1/4 inch strips
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed in very small pieces
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch bok choy, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 6 ounces bean thread noodles, presoaked in hot water
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (leave the stems in!)
- 1 -2 tablespoon lime juice, to taste (probably)
- 1In 4qt or larger, heavy-bottomed pot, begin heating chicken broth and coconut milk on low-medium heat.
- 2Add the other ingredients for the broth, down through the brown sugar, as you prepare them.
- 3Bring broth to a slow simmer; never allow it to reach a rolling boil, and do not cover it at any time during cooking.
- 4When broth is simmering, begin adding remaining ingredients starting with the chicken, as you prepare them in the order listed, stirring regularly.
- 5Make sure the chicken is fully cooked by the time you add the cilantro--if you cube the chicken finely enough and use a normal length of time preparing the vegetables, this should not be an issue, but allow it to simmer a few extra minutes if necessary before adding the cilantro.
- 6About a minute after adding the cilantro, taste the soup and add some additional lime juice as desired to punch up the flavor (maybe 1-2 T--don't overdo it!).
- 7Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Tom Kha soup
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.5
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 18.8 mg
- Sodium 536.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 10.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
limes, zest of