Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Received in email from Herbivoracious.com. Can't wait to try it out! Created by Michael Natkin. Link to original recipe: http://www.herbivoracious.com/2010/02/thai-tofu-salad-recipe.html
For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar (preferably palm sugar)
- 1 -3 chili pepper, Thai bird, seeds and ribs removed
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, thinly sliced, preferably large red variety
For the salad
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lb tofu, extra-firm, cut into 3/8-inch thick slabs
- black pepper
- 1 cup English cucumber, medium diced seedless
- 4 green onions, white and light green parts, cut into small bite sized lengths
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf (& some for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons mint, minced fresh
- For the dressing:.
- Stir together the liquids with the sugar. Lightly crush & add the chilis & shallots to the liquid. Will taste hugely overwhelming - no worries. It is balanced by the tofu.
- For the salad:.
- Heat the oil over a medium-high flame in a large skillet. Author suggests cast iron - I use French stainless. Dry the tofu. Brown the tofu in the skillet - about 5 minutes a side. Flip and brown on the other side. Remove to drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the tofu (when cool enough to handle) thinly, about 1/8" or so.
- Toss the tofu and all remaining ingredients with the dressing. Alternatively drizzle with dressing or serve the dressing on the side in little bowls to dip a bite at a time (my fav).
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Beautiful salad, I only used 1 Serrano pepper (all I had on me) and wished I had more. Don't be afraid of all the onion it's not too much at all, any less wouldn't be enough. I love most things involving mint and cucumber... and chili peppers... and tofu. thanks for the recipe