Recipe by Sue Lau
This is a versatile recipe, where other vegetables or even other meats, such as chicken, could be substituted. If using meat in the recipe, do allow longer simmering time until the meat is cooked through. Shrimp do not need a long cooking time however, and only need to cook until they turn pink and curl. Overcooking them would make them tough. But tofu is best in this recipe, as it absorbs the flavor of the curry paste, and also is very healthy. Recipe by Judy Bastyra. Posted by request.
Top Review by Joan C.
This is the most successful green bean/tofu curry dish I've made so far. The seasonings and sauce were delicious. I used a pound of green beans, a sliced onion, one red bell pepper and about 2 cups of chopped mushrooms. I sauteed the garlic, onions and ginger first, then added pepper and mushrooms, so there was a stir fry basis before I moved onto the sauce. Also, I steamed the green beans a little on the side before I added them. After the onions were translucent, I mixed the various flavorings with the coconut milk (mixing the paste, fish sauce and sugar with a little water and c. milk to a smooth consistency before adding it.) Then added the coconut milk, kefir lime leaves and green beans with the tofu and covered it to simmer for the recommended time. This was a delicious meal in itself, ladled over some basmati rise. Thank you for the basic overall ingredients and procedure as it worked well, and we'll certainly be repeating it.
- 2 1⁄2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar or 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 3 1⁄4 cups button mushrooms
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed
- 6 ounces firm tofu, rinsed,drained,and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 2 -4 fresh hot red chilies or 2 -4 Thai chiles, chopped (amount to taste)
- fresh cilantro leaves (coriander)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat approximately 1/3 of the coconut milk in a large pan.
- When it starts to separate (an oily sheen will appear on the surface), add the curry paste, fish sauce, and sugar and stir to mix well.
- Add the cleaned mushrooms and cook 1 minute.
- Pour in the rest of the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add the green beans and tofu, then reduce heat, and simmer gently for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the kaffir lime leaves and hot chillies.
- Garnish with cilantro before serving.
- Serve with hot cooked rice, if desired.