Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a versatile recipe, where other vegetables or even other meats, such as chicken, could be substituted. If using meat in the recipe, do allow longer simmering time until the meat is cooked through. Shrimp do not need a long cooking time however, and only need to cook until they turn pink and curl. Overcooking them would make them tough. But tofu is best in this recipe, as it absorbs the flavor of the curry paste, and also is very healthy. Recipe by Judy Bastyra. Posted by request.
- 2 1⁄2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar or 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 3 1⁄4 cups button mushrooms
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed
- 6 ounces firm tofu, rinsed,drained,and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 2 -4 fresh hot red chilies or 2 -4 Thai chiles, chopped (amount to taste)
- fresh cilantro leaves (coriander)
- Heat approximately 1/3 of the coconut milk in a large pan.
- When it starts to separate (an oily sheen will appear on the surface), add the curry paste, fish sauce, and sugar and stir to mix well.
- Add the cleaned mushrooms and cook 1 minute.
- Pour in the rest of the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add the green beans and tofu, then reduce heat, and simmer gently for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the kaffir lime leaves and hot chillies.
- Garnish with cilantro before serving.
- Serve with hot cooked rice, if desired.
Very good recipe. I only used 2 Tablespoons of fish sauce and 1 Tablespoon of red curry and it was perfect. The sauce is delish. However, I am not sure why but I don't like the green beans in this recipe. The green beans taste out of place. So, The next time, I think I would use red and green bell peppers.
This is a wonderful dish. I steamed the green beans for about 15 min before combining them in the sauce so they would absorb the flavor of the sauce, and they turned our crisp. Next time I'll try asparagus.
Oh my gosh this was delicious. I doubled the recipe and found that double the sauce was too much, maybe next time will use 4 cups coconut milk instead of 5. I substituted chopped baby portabella mushrooms, 4 serrano chiles, and lime juice instead of kaffir lime leaves. I also crisped up the tofu separately in peanut oil and added it near the end. And the results were wonderful. Will definitely make again and again. Thanks for posting!