Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A simple fish dish, both flavorful and healthful. It adds a change to your bland regular diet.
Make and share this Thai Tilapia recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tilapia fillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground dried Thai chiles
- 1 small lime, juice of
- steamed banana leaf, to wrap the fish
- 1⁄2 cup white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt (for added flavor, skip salt and add 1 chicken boulion cube)
- Bring the cup of water to a boil and add the salt or cube and rice. Stir and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. This will make more rice than you need, but you don’t have a pot small enough to make less. Bring a wok of water to boil with a steamer basket on top. Place a 12“ square of banana leaf inside and wilt the leaf to a pliable state. Remove the leaf, cut two “shoe string” strips, with the grain, to use for tying and reserve.
- Mix ingredients 2 through 9 together in a low flat bowl. Place the filet in the mixture and turn to coat both sides.
- Lay the coated filet on the leaf, pour on the remaining mixture, and wrap it up. Secure with the strips.
- Place the package in the steamer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Plate half the rice and lay the unwrapped filet on top. Pour remaining juices over the top.
The reason I chose to make this was because the list of ingredients ought to produce a flavourful dish, but sadly, my daughters told me that the dish was rather bland... maybe it was totally my fault, so i will try making this again, and will update review accordingly. Thank you for posting.
YUM. The sauce got thick and a perfect consistency as it cooked, and I didn't have a few ingredients, but it didn't matter. I served it with Pad Thai noodles and the combo was really good. Thanks!
My fiance and I loved this Combination of spices! However, I did not use banans leaves. I simply coated the fish with the ingredients and placed them in a casserole dish. Foil on top and baked in the oven for 25 minutes. Accompanied with Brown Rice for a very Healthy and Tasty Dinner! I also used Cod instead of Tilapia. I think Cod is very mild so you really taste the spice with this one!!!