Recipe by Pikake21
The perfect answer for when you have tons and tons of leftover tapioca (like I do!) from another dessert. This is Naret Sihavong's (owner of Phuket Thai Restaurant in Honolulu, HI), recipe.
Top Review by Papagayita
This is wonderful! Exactly the dessert I've been dreaming about ever since I had it at a Thai restaurant. I modified the recipe though--used about 3/4 C small Thai colored tapioca, only 1.5 C coconut milk, and 2/3 C sugar. Delicious.
- 1 cup small thai tapioca
- 8 cups cool water, divided use
- 3 cups coconut milk (Mae Ploy brand recommended)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse tapioca in cool tap water. Drain.
- Place in saucepan with 6 cups water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Drain and rinse.
- Combine coconut milk and 2 cups water in a clean saucepan.
- Add tapioca to milk mixture and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar and salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat.
- Taste and add more sugar or salt as needed.
- Let mixture sit in saucepan for 30 minutes.
- Pour into dessert glasses and serve warm. Serves 8.
- Variation: Serve chilled with 1/4 cup diced honeydew melon added to each serving.